Drop F-bombs into a magic 8-ball

People in search of something profane to adorn their coffee table need look no further. [Wizgirl's] magic 8-ball hack lets you change the messages inside, and her messages all include the most powerful of four-letter-words. To do so she completely replaced the message cube inside with one she built from a sheet of plastic, plastic label-maker labels for messages, and craft googly eyes to make it float… Brilliant.

The whole thing was reassembled along with the original fluid but she’s not done yet. A bit of creative case modifications leaves this magic 8-ball looking like a cartoon bomb, complete with a thick white fuse. She’s now the proud owner of a magic f-bomb.

[Thanks Osgeld]

15 thoughts on “Drop F-bombs into a magic 8-ball

  1. Have to disagree with sqnewton. In this case, adding the F-word is, in my opinion, funny. Also, instructables is great for step by step tutorials.

    Like I say, just my opinion!

  2. One could put together their own answer die (of considerably more faces) using a 3D printer, though it would have to be hollow so that it would float.
    If the desired phrases were depressions in the die, and the die were made of black ABS, rubbing a white crayon (or a candle in a pinch) onto the surface of the die would fill the depressions with white wax, making the letters stand out.

    One would probably want to drop into the die, during manufacture, anything that is sealed with air inside (like the googly eyes used in this hack), just so that if the 3D printer doesn’t completely seal the air to the inside of the die, it would still be okay.

    Maybe I’ll borrow this idea to make a motorcycle-themed one for my own parents.

  3. “Instructables is Hiring! Java Developer, Sales, Editor & Interns”
    You hear that mubarak? Jumpstart your new-ish career! ;)

    It’s a joke dammit, shaddap

  4. @mjrippe Thanks, I’m glad you think so. It’s a little old news though:

    http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/07/how-to-retrofit-a-magic-8-ball-with.html

    I’m planning to do a kit someday to make it easier. So far I’m having a problem with one of the sealants clouding the blue goo. At first I thought it was the Tooldip I used to seal the screen PCB, but after a few weeks of testing I believe its probably the silicon RTV I put on EVERYTHING to keep it from leaking…

    I think then my next step is to revise the blue good container to use a gasket.

    Then I still have the problem with the wires. I’m tempted to inductivly couple power in and submerge the whole thing.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s