Our favorite Russian mad scientists, [Kreosan], have shocked us yet again with another terribly ill-advised, super bad idea. Home made EL wire that runs off of mains voltage.
From the picture it looks a lot like EL wire, doesn’t it? Well, it’s actually just a nickel chromium wire hooked up to the main AC supply in their…. uh, testing house? Doesn’t look like they live there, so we have to wonder why it still has power. Anyway, yeah, they made a restive load using the wire, and connected it directly to the panel. So besides the fire hazard, you could also get electrocuted!
For house decorations it’s a great way to warm the place up, and it might even help start a fire if you’re lucky!
These are the same guys who showed us what happens when you take the magnetron out of a microwave oven. You get a microwave gun.
Most of their experiments are just plain bad ideas, though they do answer those questions of “what if…” — we just hope they don’t hurt themselves in the process of sharing their crazy projects.
[Thanks for the tip Danjovic!]